There is something to be said for new photographic techniques. They can do so much with so little. They can be manipulated easily and can often make the lowliest of photographer look good (I'm looking at you Instagram). But can anything really top the old emulsion and silver of a nice black and white photo taken by the hands of a master that has spent so many hours on their craft?
Here is a great example of what I am talking about. The Los Angeles Times own Jay L. Clendenin took a series of photographs of the U.S.A.'s 2012 Olympiads before they headed out to the games in London this year. He took one photo using modern equipment and one using an old fashioned 4×5-inch field camera paired with a 100+-year-old Petzval lens.
I think you'll agree that his work is amazing, whether it's with new or old equipment. To see what I am talking about click here.
No comments:
Post a Comment